Citing court cases

Templates and information pertaining thereto.
Logos
Site Admin

Citing court cases

Post by Logos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Over the years I've come across numerous websites and documents providing quotes of various cases, particularly those regarding jurisdiction. Out of all those cases I only found maybe two whose existence I've confirmed via Westlaw. However, none of the quotes, or variations thereof, from these "cases" could be confirmed. I think many of the legal cites posted out there intended for "patriot" use is disinformation put out by trolls & propagandists; one should never cite or quote any purported case before validating its veracity.

All the standalone cases (not part of a Black's definition) I've used in the docs I personally quoted *verbatim* from the court reporter volumes (physical or Google Books photographic copies) and/or Westlaw--but don't take my word for it.

Logos
Site Admin

Re: Citing court cases

Post by Logos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 pm

To clarify my first post: it was cases & quotes therefrom regarding jurisdiction on those websites that I had so much trouble validating; the same offered up on websites regarding other issues weren't as troublesome to validate.

For those attempting to validate the court cases we've cited: Westlaw had typos in the ruling of either People v. Cassels or Prosser v. Secor that had to be resolved via a Google Books scan of the particular volume of Hill's or Barbour's New York Supreme Court Reports.

Your State law library may offer free access to Westlaw. Casetext.com, also used by law firms, provides free access to individuals.

Logos
Site Admin

Re: Citing court cases

Post by Logos » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I forgot to mention: Casetext.com doesn't seem to have very old cases.